Knit Picky: Confession Is Good For The Soul, Right?
 


"properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit...
 and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either."
~elizabeth zimmerman

Thursday, September 30, 2004

Confession Is Good For The Soul, Right?

I have a confession to make. It's a deep, dark, knitting secret. Unlike 99.999% of the online knitbloggers whose sites I read (and believe you me, that list at the right is only a teeny tiny little sampling; truly, it's amazing I have time for anything else), I don't really like Noro Kureyon. {cringing, knowing that other knitters think there's something seriously wrong with me} I know, I should be banned from the sisterhood of knitters! I keep trying to convince myself that I WANT to knit with Noro whenever I go into my LYS (minimum of 2x a week), but I keep talking myself out of it because it feels like it would be itchy and scratchy. To be fair, I haven't done any actual knitting with it {read: I can be persuaded}, but that's because it's so goshdarned expensive to buy when I'm not crazy about its feel. I DO however, really, really want to use some Noro Cash Iroha. Maybe for socks. Although, it's a bit pricey, too. For some reason my internal yarn barometer gets uncomfortable at the $11+ skeins of yarn. $10.50 and down, I don't even question them. Well, not much (had to throw that in for The Boy, you know).

In other knitting news, at the risk of The Boy pelting me with my own skeins of yarn when I get home tonight (he reads this blog), I've spent a bit more cashola on knitting books. I checked out EZ's Knitting Without Tears from the library to see whether I liked it (besides, Amazon and B&N online both said it took a month to get). Shortly after deciding that yep, I did want to buy it, I saw on someone's blog that it was available at Amazon (with a little "this item ships in 24 hours" note on it, no less) for 30% off. Ahem. Then they sucked me in with their little 'buy 2 books and save even more' deal. EZ's Knitter's Almanac could be purchased as well, and the whole shebang would only cost me $19. Yeah. So that came yesterday. {sigh in contentment} EZ's quite entertaining, in case you haven't read her stuff yet. I just wish her patterns had lots of pictures; I love knitting pictures.

I've been having a lot of pain in my left wrist while knitting recently. I've sprained that wrist twice--once in a car accident (not my fault), and once in an unfortunate incident with a ceiling fan (think of the stupidest way you could hurt yourself with a ceiling fan, and you've probably guessed what my 'unfortunate incident' was). Once in awhile the wrist will start hurting for no good reason. It's been hurting me a lot lately. I blame work and the fact that I type for 8 hours a day (I'm a communications writer), but I think that--between you and me--knitting probably has a little to do with it. I knit English style, gripping the left needle and throwing with my right. It seems that means that I hold the needles a lot tighter with my left than my right (probably since the yarn is wrapped around my right fingers and can't be held too tightly or I wouldn't be able to feed the yarn into the work). But I prefer to blame work.

Recently I've been forcing His Furriness into joining me for photo shoots to help me use up my film, so I should have pictures to post next week. Do you have any idea how difficult it is to coax a cat to play with yarn if he's just not interested? My cat, unlike that of Stitchy McYarnpants (Dot the cat has her own blog!), is much more inclined to steal notions than yarn (scissors, point protectors, the small plastic bag my portable projects are stored in). I do thank the knitting gods and goddesses that Max does not eat my yarn, but last night it would have been helpful if it made him cooperate with the pictures I wanted to take. I guess it's true: cats really do rule the roost. I ended up taking the pictures HE wanted me to take. How embarassing to be outmaneuvered by a 13 pound furball.

Well, I'm plagued with a migraine today, so I'm going to get a little more work done and then head out a bit early (so that I can go home and stare at little loops of yarn on sticks; knitting'll help my migraine, right?!). ;)


posted by Stephanie at 3:20 PM

4 Comments:

  • Have you felt Kureyon post-wash? It softens up a lot. Pre-wash I wouldn't want a sweater out of it either.

    By Blogger Lauren, at 8:04 PM  

  • No Lauren, I haven't. I don't know anyone (in person) who has knit with Kureyon. Like I said, though, I can be persuaded. Maybe someday I'll get to feel a post-wash Kureyon swatch and fall in love with Noro forever and ever. :)

    By Blogger Stephanie, at 10:05 AM  

  • I think the information i have read here has been really useful, as i know a few friends who suffermigraine hypnosisand one thing that has helped a couple of them is a Bioflow. They purchased them at migraine hypnosis. It hasn't worked for all of them, but has completely eradicated the problem for one of them, and made the migraine hypnosis much more bearable for the other. It might be worth a look

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:22 AM  

  • i have a three year only daughter, and i was searching under modeling agency los angeles and i was wondering if anyone knew anything about **baby-modeling **. i think it would be fun

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:08 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home