Knit Picky: I Am A Gosh-Darned Genius!
 


"properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit...
 and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either."
~elizabeth zimmerman

Tuesday, September 21, 2004

I Am A Gosh-Darned Genius!

Well, maybe not, but my friends and many others in the knitblog community sure are, and they provided the resources to help me fix this blog! After an incredibly short life span, my lovely KnitPicky was already--to put it technically--all honked up. Yesterday when I checked the blog, most of my images were gone, gone, gone. A phenomenon you may have noticed. At any rate--and to make a long story short--I moved all the images that are involved in the design of the sight to geocities for hosting there, and the body images will stay with flick'r, as they (mysteriously) were not affected by the weird outage that messed up my background. I got a response from Flick'r help that they changed the architecture for referencing hosted files, but I figured why mess with it, when I knew how to save them at geocities?

So due to Food Poisoning Friday, and Internet Outage Monday, it's been a long time since I blogged! Yes, I was out with food poisoning on Friday--not an experience I would recommend. And yesterday, after spending the morning trying to fix the images on this blog, suddenly our internet was unavailable. Like my images it was gone, gone, gone. Apparently it did not come out of hiding until after 8 p.m. PST last night! All this to say, sorry for not blogging, particularly as I was just welcomed into the Beginner Babe & Knitting Kitty webrings!

Knitting was pretty productive over the weekend--indeed, I did not do much else. I took a bunch of pictures that I will hopefully be able to get up in the next few days. I finished this baby hat for my friend's little boy, Ian, but I left out the intarsia. (Since I don't have pics of FOs yet, I'm going to include here a pic of Ian the Beautiful).

I've also done two 'grow with me' hats from Frugal Knitting Haus. I was very proud of the first until I knit the second and it's much, much bigger than the first. Then I realized that I knit the entire first one on the wrong size circs. I used 6s, the pattern calls for 8s, and I knit the second really loosely on 7s in the absence of 8s (a feat, I tell you, since I'm a tight knitter by nature!). So I re-cast on for the first hat. I've also done two pairs of very easy, straight knit baby booties that you just whip stitch up and single crochet chain the ties for them (and the hats). It's rather fun: there's a woman at work having a girl, so I'm using up this enormous skein of acrylic yarn (unsure of the brand) in variegated white, pink, mint green, baby blue for her hat and booties, and then my sister's best friend had her baby boy two month's early, and he's getting a baby blue hat and booties set (Plymouth Encore)--just watch me support those sexual stereotypes for children!

I'm also working on a wrap for myself in between other projects; a novelty scarf for my little sister's best friend (8-year-old); as well as assorted Christmas gifts, so I'm definitely keeping busy. Of course, my projects are incredibly simple when compared with so many other knit bloggers, but I figure that if they are familiarizing me with patterns, methods, etc., it's all good and will lead to greater things in the future. :)

There are so many fantastic projects out there that I'm dying to get my hands on, but I may just have to wait until next year. On my list is the bee-yoo-ti-ful Audrey--I absolutely love, Love, LOVE the way that Lauren's turned out. And the ballet-wrap sweater from the most recent Vogue Knitting. And oh-so-many more.... [Sigh] Well, I guess that's it for now. Must work to support my yarn habit!

***P.S. Thanks for the comments re: Kool Aid Dyeing acrylic!! I'll just stick with the acrylic colors as-is, or look into some other inexpensive wool when I want to play with dyeing.***


posted by Stephanie at 1:05 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home