Knit Picky: Knit For The Cure
 


"properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit...
 and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either."
~elizabeth zimmerman

Monday, October 11, 2004

Knit For The Cure

On Friday night I decided that I really needed to make a pink scarf to mark Breast Cancer Awareness Month. Partly because I care about this disease and the toll it's taken on women everywhere, in general; and partly because it is what ended my very young, very vibrant grandmother's life only 4 years ago. Since that time, the importance of this month has been keenly on the minds of my family members.

So on Saturday I went into my LYS and picked out some great yarn for the Tribute To My Grandma scarf [I'll call it Debi, after her]: KFI's King Tut 100% mercerized cotton in Pale Pink (sorry, can't find a direct link; King Tut is a joy to work with, though), and Plymouth's wispy Colorlash (no direct link either, but very good picture), also in a light pink.

I decided to use this really cool stitch that was invented by the manager of my LYS; it involves alternating rows of knits and purls with slipped stitches that create wraps. Anyway, I ended up casting on and ripping poor Debi about 5 times on Saturday. Not a little frustrating! I finally got it going and knitted about 10" while watching Fight Club that night with The Boy (love that movie). Afterward I noticed that Debi is really inconsistent. I think part of the problem is the cotton; it is just too light and flexible for this stitch. Also, there were places where I forgot whether I was knitting or purling on that row (obviously not paying much attention) and so the scarf looks weird with some gaps and mismatched rows. {sigh}

I sincerely did not want to rip it, so I tried blocking it overnight to see if it 'shaped up'. And it did. Until I tugged gently on it in the other direction. I'm afraid that this yarn just will not work with this stitch. The stitch must be intended for a more solid yarn. I've seen it used with Adriafil's Frou Frou held together with Muench's Touch Me--which is far more substantial and 'hefty' than what I'm using. I need to find a more lacy stitch to use for the scarf, I think. So tonight I will be frogging Debi and starting over. Sob...gulp...sob.

When I was blocking it on Saturday, The Boy looked a little confused and gently asked, "Oh, are you done? It seems a little....short." I had to laugh; he was trying so hard not to come right out and ask me what lunacy I was up to. Cute Boy!

I do have pictures to share, but Flick'r does not seem to be cooperating, so hopefully I'll be able to post those tomorrow. Ciao!


posted by Stephanie at 3:41 PM

1 Comments:

  • Ha-ha--Jason cracks me up! Way to be a sensitive male, Jason! :)

    By Blogger Jenny, at 8:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home