Knit Picky: Knitting Fun
 


"properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit...
 and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either."
~elizabeth zimmerman

Monday, October 25, 2004

Knitting Fun

Saturday I went to the TKGA Fiber Arts Festival in Burbank. And I talked a girl from my knitting class into going with me (hi Denell!). Yay! It took us 2 hours in traffic on the 5 freeway from Orange County, but we made it. And we had a game plan.

The plan was to survey all the booths, make our selections, and then spend money. We were very methodical. We committed before even going in that we weren't going to buy yarns that we could get easily at our LYS. We spent about 4 hours at the event, and were shopping up till the very end.

I must say that I'm quite proud of the restraint that we both showed. I walked away with only a few skeins, and Denell had just a few more than I did--and they were mostly for gifts, so it's practically a wash anyway!

My first purchase was one skein of yummy alpaca from Village Spin & Weave (just like Jen of JenLa). Wowza, is that stuff nice, or what? What she got in a brown tweedy alpaca, I got in some very handsome black/gray/white alpaca. This shall become a Christmas scarf for my stepfather, and I'll still have at least one more scarf's-worth of yarn left. Mmmm. I have recently seen lots of posts about the joy of alpaca, and now I know why. This is so buttery soft. I love it!

I got one skein of Koigu KPPPM in a bright purple/pink colorway to make a hat for my little sister Rachel's birthday (November 1; she'll be 10). I have read about the Koigu, but had never seen it in person. This was from (I think) Hand Jive Knits. The colorways were astounding--I wanted skeins from just about all of them, but I was a good girl.

Lastly, I got two skeins (ropes--whatever the correct term for that is) from Newton's Knits. Now, I live in Anaheim, and didn't know about Newton's. Denell and I had quite a bit of fun there--lots of beauteous yarns. We both fell in love with the same yarn; fortunately there was enough for both of us. It's a dark, dark brown with some slubby reds and ecrus. 40% off of the price on the tag! AND the tag said it was acrylic/novelty, so the prices were really low. When we went to pay, the guy told us that they were 100% wool and had been mislabelled, so they should have cost much more but he would honor the price on the tags. Yeah, I don't know if he was telling the truth or not, but it made us feel even better about our purchases!

We finished up our expedition with dinner at the new PF Chang's in Burbank. Delicious!! What a lovely, yarny Saturday I/we had.

Sadly, we got some bad knitting news that I won't go into just yet on Saturday morning, and I developed a migraine Saturday evening that had me down all day yesterday (I was awake for about 7 hours the whole day), so not everything was perfect--but I think Saturday's goodness makes up for a lot of it. :)


posted by Stephanie at 3:41 PM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home