Knit Picky: Patience Is A Virtue...
 


"properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit...
 and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either."
~elizabeth zimmerman

Thursday, October 28, 2004

Patience Is A Virtue...

And it's one I do not--under most circumstances--possess. That's why knitting is a continuous exercise in amazement to me. Not only do I sit and patiently figure out stitch patterns and where I made mistakes and how to fix them (whether this involves getting help from an expert, research or whathaveyou), but I patiently sit and untangle eensy little knots in yarn.

In just about any other area of my life, I would metaphorically cut the @#$% yarn, toss it and buy more. And yet, here I am, gently unwinding a skein of Koigu KPPPM.

All day I have been looking forward to beginning this great hat from a pattern acquired at the TKGA festival on Saturday. I have the skein of Koigu (color P807), my first foray into this fabulous fibery arena. I was all prepared to spend my lunch hour knitting happily away.

And then it occurred to me. This little hank was not wound into a neat little cupcake yarn ball. I would have to wind it all by hand. But that's no problem for little Miss Mysterious Knitting Patience! Bring it on!

Miraculously I have the patience for this kind of thing since I started knitting (don't go getting any crazy ideas that this has made me any more patient in any other area of my life; heaven forbid!). Naturally the hank of yarn is tangled and looped back on itself many, many times. Necessitating a very cautious, very thoughtful, very thorough untangling into little handwound balls that are neither too tight nor too loose.

The good news is, I'm almost done! The bad news is, it's taken me a ridiculous amount of time and I still haven't started on the hat!

Aw well, when I get home...Whoa. I'm getting all yarny zen and stuff! What's happened to me?


posted by Stephanie at 5:01 PM

2 Comments:

  • Ah, you're definitely in the zone. Ain't it great!
    Sharon (Knitknacks)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:17 PM  

  • Hey, Stephanie, I'm searching for some KFI Cashmereno yarn in pale pink (#03) to finish a Sirdar baby matinee coat (sob! ran out of yarn just before finishing!). When I searched Google for it, one of the sources listed was your website referring to making something with it. Do you have a source for buying it or do you have 3 extra skeins you'd be willing to sell me? Expecting a baby anytime now and want to finish her coat! Thanks for responding!
    --Andrea
    brooksong@earthlink.net

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home