Knit Picky: Blogger Ate My Post!
 


"properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit...
 and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either."
~elizabeth zimmerman

Thursday, November 04, 2004

Blogger Ate My Post!

You'd think by now I'd know better, wouldn't you? But nooooooo. I continue to do my posts directly in Blogger. 98% of the time I'm fine, but it always manages to eat the longest ones. Grrrrrrrrrrr.

Anyway, I had written that I only have 3 rows left on my Koigu spiral hat. K (as I like to call the hat) and I have had quite an adventure. He spent a good hour on time out behind the bookcase in the bedroom (where I threw him) after he had to be ripped out the first time. Then I found some mistakes around row 14 or so on the second effort. Yeah, it's for a 9-year-old, so I let it go.

After going on quite happily for 30 rows or so, I found the error manifesting once again. K and I had to have a heart-to-yarn talk at that point. Tough love time. I'm normally someone who likes to do things until they turn out right, but I was able to rationalize going on with a fairly badly flawed hat. How pathetic am I?

Here's how my rationale worked: a) The recipient (my sister) is 9; b) Being 9, there's a good chance she will lose the hat; c) her birthday party is on Saturday, so there's really not time at this point for me to frog the whole thing a second time and start over; d) I will definitely be doing this hat again, so it's okay to screw it up this time.

Seriously, I think that fixing mistakes is actually good for me; it's how I've learned to pick up stitches, and back out of rows. Unfortunately I just don't have the bandwidth right now to fix everything. I've spent hours just seeing if I could figure out how to fix the hat without ripping the whole thing (I can't). So, having said all that, I am going to be all zen about this hat and let it go. And make another one that will be right later. (For me, probably. After Christmas, naturalment.)

Lesson du jour: Pay attention when doing lace patterns. Duh. Like I need to tell anyone that. My entire problem stems from 4 missing stitches. Lost, at some point. I don't know where. And I'm resigned to never possessing that knowledge. I'm counting on the dark yarn not being too closely observed by other knitters, so that I can keep my rep (such as it is) intact.


posted by Stephanie at 3:22 PM

2 Comments:

  • TOO funny, love the "timeout" behind the book case. I thought I was the only one who actually threw projects and stomped around! My daughter's 8 now, and they really don't care if it's perfect, as long as its pretty or colorful! Hang in there!

    By Blogger Christine, at 10:47 AM  

  • Who knows where to download XRumer 5.0 Palladium?
    Help, please. All recommend this program to effectively advertise on the Internet, this is the best program!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home