Knit Picky: I Am A Sad Girl
 


"properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit...
 and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either."
~elizabeth zimmerman

Thursday, November 18, 2004

I Am A Sad Girl

Kitty Hat is going well. Finished the decreases and it makes a nice, soft hat all on it's own. I finished the earflap on one side (fourth time was the charm), and am working on the I-cord--my first time doing I-cord. Not nearly as hard as I thought!

But what I'm sad about is that my LYS--The Knitty Gritty in Anaheim--is definitively closing. They were trying to sell it, and had a few possible buyers, but found out today that it didn't work out, and the doors will close on Dec. 10th.

This makes me sad for a number of reasons. First, this is where I learned to knit in February, so it holds a lot of sentimentality for me for that reason. Secondly, I don't really know anyone down here in the OC (I'm really more of a life-long Valley girl, moved down here last year for work). This was my first and strongest group of friends here.

Third, I rely on the knowledge base of some of the ladies in the shop. They are genuinely wonderful people, and I just don't know how much we'll see each other once the shop closes. Fourth, I spend A LOT of time in the shop. I'm there at least 2x a week, to hang out and gossip, to get assistance, to get ideas, to play with the yarn. Fifth, there aren't any other shops nearby like this. I've checked out the other yarn places near me, but that's all they are--yarn places. The closest I have come to the kind of camaraderie and humor is Unwind, in Burbank, which is about 40 miles away--a bit far for me to drive on a weekday when I have to work!

The other places near me (I'm in Anaheim) seem to be more like industrial parks with a small yarn supply--not a dedicated shop. I can go to Skein in Pasadena, or Unwind, or Stitch Cafe (Valley Village), or Los Alamitos Bay Yarn Co, but due to driving distance, these are weekend expeditions. And more than likely just expeditions, not a place to hang out or chat since I do have to drive back home!

I know, I know, I'm being incredibly selfish. I know that Tracey (owner of TKG) has done her best to sell the shop, because she loves it for all the reasons I do and many more. I know that she has her reasons for closing, and I respect them. I just wish things could be different. Or that I had a couple hundred grand to spend on a yarn shop!

Anyone local have other suggestions so that I don't feel so lost? Other places where I can get this same kind of support group/circle of friends? Pleasepleaseplease?!?! Aw, well....


posted by Stephanie at 11:21 AM

1 Comments:

  • I came across your site via the scarf knitting ring and really enjoyed it. Sorry to hear about your lys closing. That is such a drag. Take care!
    Amy - http://teruterubouzu.typepad.com/andknitting/

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home