Knit Picky: Of Teeth And Scarves
 


"properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit...
 and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either."
~elizabeth zimmerman

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Of Teeth And Scarves

Sunday a crown that was temporarily mounted to one of my teeth came off when I ate a sourball. Bummer. It was already loose, and it's my own fault for not going to the dentist, but I REALLY DON'T LIKE going to the dentist, even though mine is known for being gentle, and she's super nice.

The only upside to the emergency root canal that resulted from all this yesterday (all 4-1/2 hours of it) was that on each break (say, when the disinfectant had to sit for 20 minutes to clean out the roots of the tooth), I got to work on my aunt's Airy Scarf from Last Minuted Knitted Gifts.

It's a great, easy pattern to make, and goes very quickly. I finished it last night. The only downside I found with it was that there's a little thing that they don't explain in the pattern that threw me off considerably, and caused me to rip the whole thing about 4 times: the eyelets don't line up from row to row, they alternate--that is, rows 1 & 3 do, but 1 & 2 don't; 2 & 4 do, etc. I would do 1 & 2 and think I'd screwed it up. That sorta sucked. Also, because it's with a mohair yarn, it's really difficult to keep the tension perfectly even, so there are spots where *I* was getting bothered by it. But I think that's just me. Observers have commented on its beauty (like the guy in the dentist's waiting room who told me he hadn't seen anyone knit since his mother, like 25 years ago), and nobody seems to be troubled by the assymetry, so I'll just let it go.

It's currently pinned out on my little blocking table (old coffee table covered in a towel). Because it's made with such a fine, flexible yarn (I used GGH Soft Kid), I really had to block the hell out of this thing. There are about 20 T-pins shaping the darn thing. BUT, it's really pretty and delicate and I know that my aunt will love it. I even tried it on last night to make sure it would work, and it's very classy.

I went to my LYS and bought a few more skeins of the Soft Kid to have in reserve for birthdays next year (it was 30% off) since I will definitely make this scarf again. It's considered a <4 hours knit, and I would say that's probably about right if I subtract out the time I spent ripping and re-casting on the first 20 rows or so.

Today the tooth is a bit better, but now I have a sore jaw (I may have a big mouth, but I have a teeny little jaw that HURTS when it's held open for so long). Also the gums got inflamed, so they told me that they will hurt for a few days (oh goodie). The worst part is that the work and the noise or whatnot triggered a mini migraine behind my left eye. I'm so not excited about that. My kind boss told me that I can leave if I need to, but we have BIG IMPORTANT MEETINGS today and tomorrow, so I will try to brazen it out.


posted by Stephanie at 11:33 AM

1 Comments:

  • So was the root canal as bad as everyone jokes about? At least you got some knitting done. Do we get to see a picture??

    By Blogger Vicki, at 8:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home