Knit Picky: The Results Are In!
 


"properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit...
 and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either."
~elizabeth zimmerman

Thursday, December 09, 2004

The Results Are In!

It turns out that people LOVE my knitted gifts to them. I've been making them all year, and I'm just now hearing this, but whatever, right? Take the love where you can get it!

My best friend mentioned that she was wearing her scarf to work and got a bunch of compliments. Those led to a woman saying that she really wanted a poncho like one she saw in a store, but if she knew how to knit she'd just make it herself. Well, D mentioned that I had made the very scarf she was wearing, and her friend asked if I might be interested in a commission after the holidays! That would be so awesome! I don't know if anything will come of it, but I appreciate that D was out there pimping the knitted goods for me. :)

Then my mom and I were talking about Christmas a couple of days ago, and she mentioned that she wears her Mother's Day scarf* all the time now that it's been so unseasonably (in my opinion fabulously) cold in Southern California. She also mentioned that my sister Nikki (8) wears her scarf all the time because it's so fashion -- not fashionable, but 'fashion'. Nikki decided a couple of years ago that fashion was an adjective; it's sort of caught on in our family.

At any rate, Nikki's scarf** was my very first knitted project and I still think it looks pretty nice. Here's a picture of Nikki modeling her scarf (sorry for the low quality photo; my sister took it with a cameraphone):

nikki in steph's scarf


But the love doesn't end there! I was talking to my sister Heather (26) last night, and she told me that she wears her scarf all the time and gets lots of compliments on it. Wow! Christmas should be great if people like my knitty gifts so darn much!

And speaking of Knitty...I just had a chance to look through the latest issue. There are some really great things in there. I adore Belle Epoque, but like Lolly says on her blog, I'm too afraid of being asked when I'm due! Some of us just can't pull off empire waists. Tempting really lives up to its name. While Candy is girly sweet, I don't know if it would look good on me (maybe in -40 lbs or so). Mariah is the one that I could really see myself wearing (with maybe a longer waist; I'm pretty modest). I'm seriously going to think about that one for next year.

The one that I find most exciting, though, is Womb. I mean, who wouldn't love receiving a knitted female reproductive organ?? Okay, maybe a lot of people, but my mom would get such a kick out of it. (My stepfather, on the other hand, will think I've lost my mind.) My mom worked for an OB/GYN for years, and I MUST make this for her. She will just love it. I know a MUST HAVE when I see it.

Well, friends, it's back to work for me. SOOOO much to do.


*Mother's Day Scarf: Plymouth Encore in turquoise, held together with GGH Apart in Mermaid in garter stitch. I believe it was on 15s (US), and 16 or 18 stitches wide (she requested a wide scarf). It turned out quite beautiful, fuzzy and squooshy. It was hard to part with, but she deserved it, so she got it. Good thing she loves it since it cost me nearly $40 smackers! ;)

**Nikki's Scarf: Lion Brand Polarspun in Candy Pink on 10.5 (US). It was 8 stitches wide, I think. Very soft and cuddly.


posted by Stephanie at 2:41 PM

3 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home