Knit Picky: Who's A Spoiled Knitter?
 


"properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit...
 and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either."
~elizabeth zimmerman

Monday, December 27, 2004

Who's A Spoiled Knitter?

I am! I am!

Well, I could post about all the many goodies received on Saturday that prove that I am indeed a very, very spoiled girl, but since this is a knitblog, I will contain myself and focus only on those knitterly items that I received for Christmas.

*Hot Knits, Melissa Leapman [from little sisters]
*Hip Knits, Better Homes & Gardens [from Dad]
*The Knitter's Gift, Bernadette Murphy [from Dad]
*Stitch 'n Bitch Nation, Debbie Stoller (duh!) [from sis Heather & bro-in-law]
*2005 Pattern A Day Calendar [from sis Heather & bro-in-law]
*5 skeins of Steadfast Fibers Wonderful Wool in purple to make Fibertrends' felted clogs [from friend Denelle]
*Knitted Shawls, Stoles & Scarves, by Nancie Wiseman [with money from grandpa]
*$30 gift certificate to Skein (Pasadena, CA yarn shop) [from The Boy]
*1 skein each Lion Brand Chenille & Paton's Allure [from sis Heather & bro-in-law]

Oddly enough, all of these gifts came with a caveat--I MUST make some items for myself. Hmmm...that shouldn't be too hard. I'm dying to cast on for the wristwarmers in Last Minute Knitted Gifts (I have the necessary Noro Cash Iroha in the stash already from the sales as my LYS went out of business). Plus I would love to take a pass at a sweater--probably an easy one without much shaping involved, like a raglan.

First, though, I need to finish those two Christmas scarves that are still hanging out for (bio)Dad and (step)Dad. And (step)Dad requested a hat to go with the scarf, and I found some lovely black Jiffy on sale at JoAnn's for $1.84 that'll look great with the scarf (Irish Hiking), maybe with a stripe of the alpaca from the scarf to really tie it together.

By the way, was I high or what, thinking that picking up and knitting around all the edges of the girls' ponchos would actually be faster than just fringing them??? It took me about 19 hours to seam the two ponchos and pick up and knit fuzzy yarns around the edges of the ponchos. Then I fringed the third poncho in about an hour (!).

Wouldn't you know, too, that one of the ponchos was entirely too big. Fortunately I had time yesterday while still at the 'rents' house to pick out the seam, take it in a bunch and reseam it to fit, including reinforcing the neck region. Whew! The girls sure do look adorable in their ponchos! I hope they will actually wear them. I wasn't too sure after the five-year-old opened hers and mom asked her if she liked it and she glanced at it dismissively and said, flat-out, "No." I suppose that's to be expected if it's not a toy. She DID, however, voluntarily put it on to go to her grandfathers' house. My brother-in-law took pics of the girls in their ponchos and I'll post those as soon as I get copies.

Well, that's enough Christmas recapping. I need to go do some actual work!


posted by Stephanie at 1:26 PM

1 Comments:

  • The only knit present I got this year were the ones I bought for myself. Enjoy all those presents and take everyone's advice, knit some for you!

    By Blogger Vicki, at 2:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home