Knit Picky: I Am Fickle
 


"properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit...
 and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either."
~elizabeth zimmerman

Monday, June 27, 2005

I Am Fickle

Why is it that you can be working on a perfectly lovely pattern (like, oh, say my feather and fan socks using Artyarns), and suddenly become completely bored with it to the point where just about anything looks more interesting? I know that some might call this second sock syndrome, but generally this happens about 1/2 way through ANY project that I'm working on. This would be why I have so many UFOs hiding out in the bedroom, away from the watchful eyes of The Boy.

So even though I've completed 1 sock, and started the second, where is all my (admittedly limited) knitting time going? That would be here:

Ians_jacket

I'm doing the jacket at the bottom right for my friend's little boy who just turned 1. This would be the same little boy whose baby blanket I started shortly before he was born, and abandoned when he was born premature. (There's no real connection between him being a preemie and me quitting, it was just a time and stress thing.) So I'm making this jacket in all blue, Snuggly DK and Snuggly Bubbly. Have you felt Snuggly Bubbly? If you like baby yarns -- or even just enjoy really, really soft yarn -- you should give it a try. It is heavenly soft. I can't wait till I get to the point in the pattern where I actually get to knit with it instead of just fondling it manically.

And just look at this kid. I dare you to try NOT to knit him something! He's so unbelievably adorable, and the sweetest baby I've ever encountered.

Ian_cutie


I did a nice tubular cast on, 1-1/2" of ribbing, and knit 14 rows into the pattern before I realized I'd been reading it wrong and had totally screwed it up. This is after days of 'fixing' 'mistakes' in the pattern, and being really upset with Sirdar for publishing such a crappy pattern. Hmmm. The problem, it is with the knitter, I think. So I frogged it back to the end of the ribbing and started over. Amazing how much nicer it looks when you read the pattern correctly. It is going sooo much faster now. I'm already beginning the second pattern repeat (you just repeat to the required length. I want to say 19".) And I haven't run into any of those pesky 'mistakes' since. Imagine that. I'll try to take pics of both of these items tonight for the blog.

Until such a time, good night dahlings. Happy knitting.


posted by Stephanie at 5:15 PM

2 Comments:

  • That tends to happen to me too. I can't even make it through a scarf anymore (hence the three that I have half-done hanging out in the closet). That jacket is adorable, and perfect for Mr. Smiles there. So cute!

    By Blogger Vicki, at 5:11 PM  

  • So...Where are these UFOs hiding?? Now I want to know.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home