Knit Picky: Lace Guidance??
 


"properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit...
 and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either."
~elizabeth zimmerman

Thursday, January 26, 2006

Lace Guidance??

Hi friends, I have a question for all you fabulously talented lace knitters. At some point in time you must have been a lace novice, right? And that means you probably started with a particular book and type of yarn. Seeing as how I'm getting married in 4-1/2 months (!) and a lace-knitting virgin, I'm interested in finding out about how to go about learning to knit lace, in general, and a wedding ring shawl in particular.

This is not something I see myself wearing for the wedding, nor is it something I see myself finishing for the honeymoon. It's really something that I want to begin to undertake and be able to work on while wedding planning and during the long stretches on the tour bus while on our honeymoon. I see this as something that could become a long-term project for working on between other projects, purely for the process. And if I get a delicious shawl to wear at the end of it, all's the better, right? (This sounds rational, right?)

This is the most beautiful one that I've ever seen:

ring_shawl_detail1 wedding_ring_shawl4

This is Heirloom Knitting's Project 16, Shetland Lace Wedding Ring Shawl. Dude. Seriously. Most gorgeous, amazingly breathtaking thing I've ever seen. So delicate. So ladylike. I like the thought of being able to aspire someday to something even remotely resembling this beauty.

So, back to the questions. What is a good starter book for cutting one's lace teeth? In the little bit of Googling opportunity I've had lately, Lavish Lace by Noble & Potter keeps coming up as a good starter one, but I also read a customer review saying that it is all charted. As in not text directions. As in, Stephanie's never done that. Would it be a suicidal endeavor? OR a good intro to charts? Does anyone have any comments on this book? Other suggestions?

Also, the lace-weight yarns. Where to go online to buy them (my LYS does not do lace)? I know Knitpicks has amazingly priced lace yarns. Are those a good choice, particularly for a newbie? (I mean, dude! they're cheap) Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

posted by Stephanie at 2:24 PM

1 Comments:

  • heh funny how he can make something so cute look so dangerous ;o) Is it a talent?

    By Blogger RheLynn, at 9:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home