Knit Picky: Meet The Bean
 


"properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit...
 and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either."
~elizabeth zimmerman

Friday, January 20, 2006

Meet The Bean

The Bean 1

This is The Bean

The Bean will eventually look much like Kate from Knitty. But currently, without his limbs and ears, he looks a lot like a bean. Or a pill, according to The Boy. Or a gourd. But I prefer to call him The Bean.

The Bean is for me. He is mine. A knitted item for me. Of course, he's going to lead to a bunch of other knitted toys that I will probably not keep, but this one stays.

Here The Boy demonstrates his love for The Bean

Baby Bean

Baby Bean

The Bean and The Boy

The Bean and The Boy

And some of the pieces that will turn a bean into a cat

Carnage!

Two ears, 1 arm -- don't worry, he'll be getting more

Oh, and that hat The Boy is wearing?

With a Twist 2

A Serious Boy

I'm calling this hat With A Twist.

The name is for a couple of reasons: 1) It has cably twists (duh), and 2) I've twisted together two patterns and made some changes to them to get something more custom for The Boy.

I started out planning to make a Hot Head from the original Stitch 'n Bitch book. Which is really just a 2x2 rib. Then The Boy liked the cables on this pattern. But I worried that casting on the # of stitches for Hot Head wouldn't be big enough for his noggin, and the baby ribbed hat would be too big. So I picked a number in the middle. That's my creative contribution.

I used one skein of Rowan Soft Tweed in Slate Blue. Gorgeous, but since we all know that cables and cably-type-things require more yarn I was worried that I would run out, so I did three 'cable' repeats in a stash yarn that I got from my LYS when I worked there at the beginning of 2005. (It was a clearance yarn without a ball band, so I have no idea what it is).

With a Twist yarns

On the left is Rowan, on the right is mystery yarn

The color match of the two was perfect and I ended up with that little bit of soft tweed left. The Boy really seems to like it. If I do it again, though, I'll leave off one of the 'cable' repeats since it's just a little too long (hence the folding).

Apparently this is now his thinking hat since he seems to wear it predominantly while studying at night.


posted by Stephanie at 8:52 AM

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home