Knit Picky: Oops, I Did It Again!
 


"properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit...
 and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either."
~elizabeth zimmerman

Tuesday, January 10, 2006

Oops, I Did It Again!

I swore I wasn't going to, but I did. I knit a bunch of Christmas gifts. I was even fringing on Christmas morning!

Isn't it interesting when you can see the progression in your own talent? In 2004 I learned to knit, and I did a bunch of scarves and a couple of hats. In 2005, I tackled harder or less common items. In 2006 I really want to take on something more complicated with cables or colorwork or an intricate pattern. I know that I'm the slowest knitter in all of creation, but according to Stephanie's book, I am a process knitter. It's not so much about finishing as fondling the yarns, lovingly selecting the right ones, finding the perfect pattern, etc.

So. Christmas, 2006. Right.

For the 'rents: A pinwheel blanket. I see it as a lap blanket; the colors were selected to match their new(ish) living room.

Pinwheel_center
I love how this picture looks so 'arty', as opposed to the full blocking shot here . US 8s and 3 skeins Plymouth Encore Colorspun.


For my sister Heather and her husband Jason: A pinwheel blanket! Bet you didn't see that one coming. No picture, but it's much like the above, but with burgundy and navy stripes to match their house decor. US 8s, 2 skeins each burgundy and navy Plymouth Encore.

For mom: Fingerless gloves made with 2 skeins of Noro Silk Garden. I know that it's not very helpful to explain it--pictures are so much more interesting--but I dug through the second skein to make it match the first better. I don't personally care that much about things matching up when using variegated yarn, but since it was a gift, I made the effort. I will try to find a pic.

For dad: a hat. Using the hothead pattern from the original Stitch 'n Bitch book. Used 1 skein of lofty, ultra-soft Rowan Soft Tweed. Yummy! 2x2 rib pattern on US 10.5s. No pic right now.

For three little sisters: pillows using On Line yarn over 12"x12" pillow forms. Because, as I told my mom when she requested pillows for the girls for Christmas, they are just what every little girl dreams of finding under the tree. Must find pics.

A gorgeous shawl/wrap for my dear friend Desiree. I bought two skeins of S. Charles Collezione Ritratto in jewel tones to make something special for her, but didn't know what to make. Then I found this pattern. Using two skeins of the same yarn. Perfect! I didn't combine it with anything else, but I love how it turned out. A static shot, and an action shot.

folded_shawl
Pretty, eh?


peeking_shawl


I made a second Headhugger for my step-grandmother since she loved the first one so much.

Teri hat2
This is knit on US 10.5s with Elsebeth Lavold Silky Wool doubled up.


I made The Boy's mom a 76 stitches hat hat from Interweave Knits, Fall, 2004 (scroll toward bottom). It's a cute and easy pattern anyway, but I knit it with Alchemy Yarns' Lone Star in Resolution. Mmmm. She loved it so much, she wouldn't take it off all through dinner. Of course, do I have any pictures? No. I'll try to get some because it was so soft and beautiful and it looked wonderful on her.

And finally, I have just one knit left. For The Boy. I stuffed a skein of Slate Blue Rowan Soft Tweed in his stocking and let him pick out a pattern. He said cables but nothing bulky. I searched and found about 6 or 7 good options. He selected this. I'm going to mix that with the hothead pattern so that it will fit his big ol' head. Here's the swatch:

brown_baby cable_swatch
Yeah, I know brown's not the best for showing the stitches, but it was about half a skein. Can you see the teeny baby cables?


And when that's done, my friends, it's all about ME!


posted by Stephanie at 5:27 PM

2 Comments:

  • I always say I'm going to knit more things for me, but so far I think I've really only made one thing for myself. Everything else is for other people. And since I am The World's Slowest Knitter, this doesn't bode well for my own personal handknit collection.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:07 PM  

  • Oh man, I love the bean! I think you need to make another one that will say as a bean.
    I love the idea of pinwheel blankets as lap blankets, how wide are you making them? I just started one for a baby.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home