Knit Picky: I Have Been Knitting
 


"properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit...
 and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either."
~elizabeth zimmerman

Tuesday, April 25, 2006

I Have Been Knitting

So I don't have actual socks to show, despite my oodles of sock yarn. But I did knit something sock-ish for a baby shower last week.

Baby Uggs_Stuffed_side
Baby Uggs!

Baby Uggs_closeup
For size reference

Yarns used: Llama Seta for the body of the booties (yeah, not the most practical for a newborn, but I was pressed for time!), and GGH Esprit for the white trim.

These booties took far longer than they should have. I had quite an ordeal even getting the yarns. I went to my LYS where they were sold out of both. I ordered the yarns, and waited a week. A week in which they did not come in! A woman at the shop said that she had a skein of the Berrocco Plush that the pattern called for and that she would let me know that night when I could pick it up. I never heard back from her, and when I called her two days later, she was camping in the mountains. There was no time for mail order, so I trudged to all the nearby yarn-ish and yarn shops that I could reach on lunch breaks.

My first trip to Tall Mouse I thought I'd caught a break because they had (GGH?) Serrano in white. But when I went to knit it up, the texture of the yarn just wasn't going to work. I spent days looking other places. Finally, two days before the shower I went back to Tall Mouse for something else and found a lone ball, sans band, of Esprit in white. Perfect!

The bootie pattern itself is oh so easy and knits up quickly. However, the trim. The trim was a nightmare. I don't know if it's just that I am a hopeless seamstress (I am) or what, but it took me 5 hours to trim the darn things! I finally finished at one in the morning. I was SO.Tired. the next day. But I had a fabulous handknit gift for the mom-to-be. :)

I'm hoping to get a pic of the mom holding the boots soon. When I do, I'll post it here.

I will definitely make these again, I just need to figure out how to minimize the time spent handstitching the trim. There has to be a better way!

What's your favorite baby gift to knit?


posted by Stephanie at 1:25 PM

3 Comments:

  • Those are adorable! And they sounds like a lot of work, not the knitting, but procuring the right yarn. My goodness. I'm sure Mom appreciates them though, and they will look fabulous on the lucky baby!

    By Blogger Emma, at 2:08 PM  

  • Those are some cute booties!! My favorite baby gift is booties, as well. You can go look at mine in my blog (I posted about them sometime in early April...)

    By Blogger Lotta, at 8:46 PM  

  • Hi Stephanie,
    Like your blog and I love those Ugg's. So cute! My cousin made a pair of them too. Thanks for your comment on my blog!

    By Blogger Mitchypoo, at 8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home