Knit Picky: Knitting is My Gateway Craft...
 


"properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit...
 and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either."
~elizabeth zimmerman

Monday, August 07, 2006

Knitting is My Gateway Craft...

Yeah, so you know how you think to yourself, "I sure wish I was one of those crafty types," and then you pick up a craft, and suddenly you've spent a zillion dollars and given over half of your living space to accomodate all of this crafting stuff you're not all that good at anyway?

So that's me.

I spent this weekend cleaning and organizing my crafts area. Because somehow, when I wasn't looking, my crafts multiplied exponentially, and have now taken over a bookshelf, and the top of my filing cabinet, in addition to the dedicated cabinet, shelves and baskets that they had already claimed (pictures to come).

It all started because I wanted to put all my yarn in plastic bags to thwart any moth-types that might get crazy ideas about my silky wool or merino sock yarn. And then I was buying bins, and sorting scrapbook stuff (which I haven't even started to do yet!), beads, knitting supplies, little tins that I've been hoarding just in case, fun ribbons that I seem incapable of resisting lately, and all of my magnet-making supplies. It's a sickness, really.

So it became quite an endeavor. Took me almost the entire weekend. BUT, it is so much more organized and neat that The Boy and I were inspired to do a little bit of other house stuff (which our sty, I mean apartment, really needs right now). We vaccuumed. 3x! The cats were thrilled. The Boy cleaned cat boxes, we went through things that were trash, and things that we will consider giving away. We finally put down the new rug [big rug] we got as a wedding gift. I filled a box and a bag with tchotchkes that have really become nothing more than dust collectors.

I read this clever little idea in the August Real Simple that said if you are one who has trouble getting rid of stuff (who, me?), put all the items in a box near your front door for a week. Once you see the space on your shelves or in your home opened up without those items, it becomes easier to face getting rid of them. I think I may have lots of little goodies for Goodwill!

I'll try to post pictures this week. There are many! I took pictures of the yarns I got on my honeymoon (better late than never, right?!), and the process of digging out all the skeins of yarn (frightening). There was a point where I was surrounded by mounds of yarn on each side of me and The Boy said to me a) There must be at least a thousand dollars worth of yarn there!" (I hesitate to point out that it's probably more than that), and b) He was pretty certain I would never find a home for it all. But I did!

4 XL 10 gallon Ziploc bags, 35 one-gallon Ziploc bags, and 7 tubs later, I have lovely organization! I know this post is sort of meaningless without pictures, but I really wanted to post because it's been WAY too long. I will post pictures of the carnage, and the newly 'renovated' crafting area. Despite all the work that it took, and that I got no actual crafting done because of it, I feel really good and accomplished.

Hard work feels good, I guess.

Or crazy OCD-types like me like that false sense of power that comes from putting things in boxes and bins.

Either/Or.


posted by Stephanie at 5:33 PM

3 Comments:

  • Howzabout you come over and do all that OCD stuff to my yarn?? I started out innocently enough and somehow I managed to amass an actual STASH. I can't believe it!

    By Blogger Yeah So, at 11:45 AM  

  • I like organization, too. The more bins, the better. But lately, actually getting me to use the bins is a completely different feat. :)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:58 PM  

  • Oh my god- you went to London and bought yarn? You'll have to tell me where exactly these places are as i'm going next month. Hi from the Irvine knitting meetup!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home