Knit Picky: Playing Catch Up
 


"properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit...
 and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either."
~elizabeth zimmerman

Friday, December 15, 2006

Playing Catch Up

I have promised you, dear internets, dozens of pictures, a couple of store reviews and maybe even my second-born child (Target gets the first one; sorry). So prepare yourselves for a ridiculous number of pictures of recent stash acquisitions.

Some sock yarns acquired in October and November:

Cascade sock yarn
I've heard so much good about this yarn. I thought it would be good for a lacy patterned sock. This was the only color in the shop's extremely limited palette that I could see myself using. They could possibly be gifted to The Mom some day; it's her favorite color. But don't hold me to it!

Koigu shawl
From a Koigu trunk show. The pattern is simple but pretty, and I am madly in love with that skein on the left; they only had one left. So I spent a loooong time looking for other skeins that could be partnered with it for the shawl pattern. The boy deserves mad props for sitting there through the whole ordeal (the only male during our entire visit, mind you), under piles of Koigu as I weighed all the options in order to make my decision.

Koigu socks for him
More Koigu. For socks for The Boy; he picked out the color--in reality it's more of the green, less of the purple.

Koigu socks for me
And even more. For me this time. Luscious colors. Note the yummy flecks.

My socks done_Kathmandu
My finished Kathmandu DK socks in pine tweed. Warm and toasty!

Lornas Bittersweet sportweight
Lorna's Laces Bittersweet Sportweight. The colors. They are too beautiful!

Great Adirondack Sock Yarn
Great Adirondack Sock Yarn on the right (about 400 yds, I think) in subtle, glowing colors. On the left, just peeking out, um...well, that would be two more skeins of Koigu. But marvel at the colors!

There were other acquisitions throughout fall and winter, too.

LA Fair_laceweight
The LA County Fair had a display on turning wool into yarn. And they sold wool at the end of it. The Fair: rides, shopping, delicious artery-clogging food and now WOOL. I didn't want to leave. That is a tweedy/marled lace-weight in the front that didn't have a band but was estimated to have approximately 600 yds. In the back is 400 yds of marled green alpaca laceweight. I encourage biggifying the pictures so that you can see all the colors in the yarns.

Well, I'm having some trouble with Flickr, suddenly, so I'll save for another post all the yarns from the bag sale I attended at the beginning of December, as well as all those that came home with me after a phenomenal yarn swap! Hint: I got by far the better end of a couple of trades with a super nice knitter who believes in a small stash (cah-ray-z!). Fortunately, I don't have that same problem, and was happy to accommodate her! :)

More later, folks.


posted by Stephanie at 3:21 PM

2 Comments:

  • Hey girl,
    gorgeous yarns you've got there :) I'll answer the 2 mails I owe you sometime this weekend :)

    Cheers Eva

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:49 PM  

  • Ahhh ranting. Isn't it awesome? I think so. An invite to read th blog is forthcoming.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:44 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home