Knit Picky: Disneyland Fun
 


"properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit...
 and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either."
~elizabeth zimmerman

Monday, January 22, 2007

Disneyland Fun

The Boy and I are very fortunate in that we live really close to Disneyland. So close in fact that every night we know when it's 9:30 because we hear the fireworks. I know!

So this last Saturday we went to 'the happiest place on earth' (we have passes). I must say, if you are into people watching (or, um, people mocking, as the case may be), there really is no better place. Behold, just two of the interesting folks/situations observed.

1) The guy who surveyed us on our way out of the park named Precious. He looked perfectly amiable and nice, but I don't know if I would have gone as far as all that.

2) The little boy in one of the Disney stores decked out entirely in a Disney princess ensemble. Cinderella, I believe. The dress, the wand, possibly the tiara, I'm not sure. I'd like to believe that I would be one of those mothers (presuming I had children) who would be cool with whatever my kid wanted without feeling the societal pressure for gender conformation.

Instead, each time I saw the kid in the store with his nonchalant mom, I cringed a little bit. Not because I'm one of those nuts who thinks that letting a boy wear girl clothes 'will turn him gay' or anything strange like that. My insecurity or discomfort is more from the perspective of not wanting the child to be hurt by the cruelty of other children for failing to look or act as mandated by our culture.

*******

If you live in southern California, or near Disneyworld you are probably bombarded by these commercials for the new 'Rockin' Space Mountain, playing the Red Hot Chili Peppers. I expected this to be very hokey. I mean, how much of a difference can the music make to the roller coaster experience, right? As it turns out, A LOT. The Boy and I tried out Space Mountain after it was updated or refurbished or whatever '05 or '06 and were greatly underwhelmed. It didn't seem different at all. In fact, we haven't ridden it since. On a whim this time, though, we decided to give it a go. And now? Now it is much cooler. The rock music addition really did make the ride more enjoyable. They have images projected on the walls, and the loud pounding music really underscores the experience. I highly recommend it!

*******

I did not, in fact, end up blocking Clapotis this weekend because we did not get home from Disneyland till midnight and then Sunday I had knitting meetup, so maybe next weekend. The Boy works all weekend, so it's probably a good project. The only downside is The Beasties like to examine my handiwork all pinned out on those little foam blocks. Last time I did blocking I pinned it all out, then covered it in a sheet and put some heavy items on top to prevent the kitties from a) eating the pins and thus costing us a lot of money, or b) messing up my knitting and thus costing themselves a lot of pain.

posted by Stephanie at 4:55 PM

6 Comments:

  • I'm quite jealous, I've never been to Disneyland but have been to Disney World several times and would love to live close enough I could go regularly. People watching can be quite entertaining.

    I know what you mean about cringing for the boy, that's why when I watch Ugly Betty I'm not 100% sure if I like it because I physically hurt for her sometimes. And she's not even real!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 11:36 AM  

  • I used to live in Tustin and I could hear the Disneyland fireworks every night there, too.

    By Blogger Jen, at 6:58 PM  

  • We're Disney passholders too! In fact, we were recently talking about going there to check out the new Roller Coaster music experience.

    By Blogger ~Kristie, at 10:11 PM  

  • The closest I ever lived to Disneyland was Laguna Beach and it was so long ago that *gulp* it was the year that Space Mountain opened (I think *g*), and that Elvis died (sure of that one at least :) ).

    We went to DL a few times - it seemed huge to me, being little anyway and coming from NZ where the only real theme park is so tiny that it would probably fit in the DL carpark. Actually I don't think it existed at all back in 1977.

    Ugly Betty has just started showing in NZ - last week in fact, so we have only seen 2 episodes so far.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:34 AM  

  • You can people-mock for free if you just turn on the American Idol auditions.

    By Blogger Jenny, at 8:38 PM  

  • Dude, I don't care if they add projections to the walls of rainbows and kittens to Space Mountain-you are NOT getting me on that ride!I'm glad you liked it though.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 4:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home