Knit Picky: Sad
 


"properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit...
 and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either."
~elizabeth zimmerman

Monday, March 26, 2007

Sad

*A Serious Post*

I know that most of us tend to use our blogs to vent, to share, to laugh. And I think that's wonderful. But today, today I would like to use it to ask people to send as many thoughts/prayers/good vibes as you can to the family of the KnittyRef out here in California.

I am so far behind on my bloglines, so each day I've been trying to read through just one of those that I've missed out on for weeks or months. Today I was reading through the KnittyRef's site and discovered that she passed away last Tuesday.

I don't know how many of the people who read this blog ever read her blog as well. The KnittyRef was an amazing woman; she battled ovarian cancer for over 4-1/2 years, but she was as far from self-pitying as a person could be. She was funny and charming and always, always caring for others. A more selfless person dealing with so much personal trauma and drama, you would be hard-pressed to find.

So today I am thinking about the online knitting community and the phenomenal blogosphere that we have created (each in our own small way). We get to 'know' or 'meet' so many wonderful people with whom we would otherwise never have crossed paths. We get to share in joys and tragedies. We can support someone from across the globe, because knitters are some of the most amazingly generous and thoughtful people I've ever had the pleasure of knowing.

Unfortunately, the double-edge of the sword is this, today. A woman who I enjoyed reading about, who was always so stoic and selfless has died. And I never got to know her 'for real', never spoke with her directly, and can never really express to her family how I felt that we were sort of friends--even if she didn't know it! Her husband (The Hubster) really supported her blog, and often wrote posts when she was too ill from the chemo. I've sent him a message of condolence, but as in all cases such as this, it is so inadequate.

I am the absolute worst person as a leader (example: this blog), but would anyone be interested in doing something, putting together something for the KnittyRef's family? They are having a memorial service for her on April 1st. Perhaps we can get together and send flowers. Or make something for her family. I would really like to do something for a knitter who touched my life in such a small but poignant way.

What do you think?


posted by Stephanie at 5:09 PM

3 Comments:

  • Stephanie, what a beautiful thought, and suggestion. Your words touched me greatly, and even though i was not familiar with her blog, because you were touched, so am i. What ever you do, im in.

    i will send my prayers to her family.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 10:43 PM  

  • It is an amazing community. I would be happy to help with whatever you choose to do. Just let me know, and I'll post about it on my blog too. (e-mail is basilbirdy@Hotmail.com)

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:33 PM  

  • Stephanie, I also didn't know her but was touched by your post. Unfortunately it's already the 2nd of April now. Let me know if you have an address or want to send something and I'll help.
    Christine
    treasuregoddessATkcDOTrrDOTcom

    By Blogger Christine, at 2:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home