Knit Picky: Freaky Fridays -- and 100% more knitting content
 


"properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit...
 and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either."
~elizabeth zimmerman

Friday, June 01, 2007

Freaky Fridays -- and 100% more knitting content

Whew, just making it in under the wire here with the latest installment.

I apologize for the relative blog silence, but short weeks really present a challenge at work since the clients still expect us to produce the same amount of work as in a regular-length week. I also developed a killer migraine yesterday that had (has) me down pretty badly. I came into work late today as a result.

But! On with the storytelling. This one is short, so I'll also be including some actual! knitting! content! with this post.

The first time I sprained my wrist was pretty typical. I was in a car accident, and I did precisely what you are told not to do--just before impact I tightened my grip on the wheel. I was pretty lucky that I only sprained my wrist, but that's another story entirely.

The second time, though, even *I* was laughing. Through my pain.

The Boy and I were standing in the kitchen talking. I think he was doing the dishes, and I was just standing next to the table, leaning negligently. Then I (stupidly) decided to stretch my arms out, first out in front of me, and then up over my head. And right into the blades of the ceiling fan.

Fear not, no limbs were lost and no blood was shed. The fan was on low. And it has those great big paddles, anyway, so all it did was stutter a bit, whacking my left wrist back and forth a couple of times until the shock dissipated a bit and my brain registered that my hand was in the fan.

Wrist to Brain: Ow! Quit it!

So when the pain didn't go away in a couple of days I called the doctor. And while in my appointment, when I told him how it happened, he just stared at me. I blinked first. Finally (and clearly trying not to laugh) he told me that that was an excuse he'd never heard--and he'd heard some good ones. (I wish he'd shared some of those so I wouldn't have felt like such a freak!)

So there you go. An injury as only Stephanie can do.*

***************************************

Blocking my ISE4 pal's scarf

ISE4 scarf blocking
I was about to take the picture of the full length blocking when Inari wandered in. Inari: Mmmm, alpaca is lip-smackingly good!

Blocking ISE4 scarf
Here The Boy is helping me measure the full length of the scarf--my sore ankle was protesting all the time crawling around on the floor. Erm, sorry about the cat lying on the scarf ISE4 pal! I swear this was washed before blocking!

Blocking ISE4 scarf5
A pretty true representation of colors, and a closer picture of the lace pattern--it shows well on the purple alphabet block.

Blocking ISE4 scarf6
And even closer, because I love how it turned out!

And a few non-knitting pictures, because they're cute.

Alpaca = Catnip
To Max's way of thinking alpaca=catnip. Alpaca yarn is the one yarn that I have to worry about him stealing from me. It's the one yarn that drives him senseless. He kept trying to steal away with the last little bit while I was weaving the ends of the scarf in, so when it was all done, I gave him the rest of the ball.

Alpaca Good
Alpaca goooooooood

And a last picture that just yelled SPRING to me

Flowers_alumni house
I saw the Bouganvillea coming back, and the Morning Glories popping and I couldn't resist. I'm no Cara or anything, but I'm pretty proud of how this picture came out. I have a clunky digital camera, and I'm a rubbish photographer, but this is such a pretty scene, that I guess I couldn't ruin it too much!

Also, as I was uploading all the pics into flickr, I noticed how well the flowers in that picture match the scarf. I love when synchronicity sneaks up on you like that!


*BTW--I think I sprained my ankle again this week. Probably just a minor sprain, but I think you'll enjoy the story. Evidently, starting this little blog 'tradition' of telling the world how I hurt myself may be bad for my health, because I've had a few falls and several injuries in the last two weeks!

posted by Stephanie at 5:05 PM

4 Comments:

  • I'm surprised you actually sprained it that way! I'll know now to quit putting appendages in ceiling fans :-)

    And those are great blocking pictures, kitties just love to help, don't they.

    It's a beautiful pattern.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 1:57 PM  

  • I kind of wish the doctor had shared the various excuses with you, too! I bet they were hilarious!

    The cat pictures are great!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:10 PM  

  • Do you have really low ceilings or really long arms? DAYUM! That sounds so painful.

    Your secret pals scarf is gorgeous! No wonder Max wants to be near it!

    By Blogger ~Kristie, at 4:44 PM  

  • Stephanie...

    Thank you so much for the lovely scarf. This is really the best experience I've had with this exchange. You are so thoughtful and generous, and the scarf is just the best.

    I'm sorry it took me so long to post about the scarf on the exchange blog... I don't know if you got the email I sent you, because I sent it to the secret email addy you used to contact me, but my internet connection got all sporadic and then went down.

    - Leisel

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 8:42 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home