Knit Picky: Freaky Fridays
 


"properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit...
 and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either."
~elizabeth zimmerman

Friday, June 29, 2007

Freaky Fridays

I have a new one for you. Exciting for you, but painful for me! This one happened yesterday, so you got it here first.

The background: apparently I am weirdly shaped. I see my body as basically a tall rectangle (as attractive as that sounds), but for some reason pants are always too short. In order to get pants that are long enough, I almost always have to buy pants that are way too big in the waist (about 1/2 size or more too big). I can use belts to help, but sometimes that ends up creating the oh-so-fashionable "paper-bag" look. So more than I'd care to admit, I resort to large safety pins.

Well, I was pulling on some pants yesterday that I had forgotten to remove the safety pin from the last time I wore them. And as I pulled the pants up I felt a sharp stab in my right thigh. I quickly pulled the pants back down, and as I did, I felt a good half of that jumbo safety pin pull back out of my leg. If I could have heard it, I'm sure it would have made a sucking sound. The area was stinging so badly, but I was running late for a dental appointment, so I decided just to go. I didn't see blood seeping through my pant leg or anything, and it stopped hurting after about 45 minutes (could it have gone into the muscle?).

Last night when I was changing into my pjs, I looked down at the area and not only do I have the red little pin-prick mark, but I have a nice, quarter-sized red/purple bruise.

I ask you -- who does this? Who doesn't even notice a honkin' big safety pin and stabs herself in the leg? The Boy was talking tetanus shots last night when I told him the story (oh, the wild and wacky world of being married to an R.N.).

Then The Boy decided to make me feel better by telling me of his own safety pin incident. Heh. We so belong together.

The Boy went to USC and was in the famous USC Trojan Marching Band. They went to play at Notre Dame and after a long day of rehearsals he got back to his hotel and noticed that his pants had split down the back, along the butt-al region. Being a boy, he didn't know how to sew the pants, and he had to perform the next day. Thus, the magic of safety pins.

He pinned the whole seam down and off he went to play and dance and march. At one point during the halftime show, they were on the field, down on the ground when suddenly BOING! one of the pins came unhooked/latched and poked The Boy in some sensitive areas. The Trojan Marching Band does not break for anything, so he just kept going, getting stabbed in the ass with every step he took and every move he made. Is it wrong that I was laughing wildly at this story? ;)

Maybe my pants stabbing me in the thigh isn't so bad after all?


posted by Stephanie at 3:05 PM

6 Comments:

  • ooooH, that made me cringe. I hate that moment where you feel the dang thing sticking you, right before you feel the horrible pain. Kinda like paper cuts, too.
    My, there's nothing like motivation to finish marching like a safety pin in the sensitive spots!

    By Blogger PlazaJen, at 7:25 PM  

  • Hee hee! Bet he was high-stepping it a little!

    By Blogger becky c., at 4:43 PM  

  • Yeeeeooooowwwww!

    I had a pool full of kids here on Thursday and one got stung by a bee on the elbow. Poor baby... she was howling, I was shaking, her sister was telling me that the old Mexican remedy is to put a slice of lemon on it (no way). I scraped the stinger out (it was huge!) then I put ice on her elbow.

    Later, I googled bee stings to see that I did it all correctly, but gad I felt inept. You're the only one I remember that ever got stung and we had an LVN living downstairs at the time.

    I hope your leg is doing better now.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 5:32 PM  

  • Yikes! Definitely painful! And as a former marching band person myself, I can only imagine The Boy's pain as he held down his part of a marching pinwheel with a safety pin sticking in his nether-regions!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:35 AM  

  • Ouch for you, but more ouch for Jason.

    Also, Vicky Delgado and I were reminiscing today about when I took a screenshot of your computer and put it as your background picture. Ah, those were the days. That story still makes me chuckle... :)

    By Blogger Jenny, at 12:15 AM  

  • One word: OUCH!

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 9:48 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home