Knit Picky: 2005: The Year of Selfish Knitting
 


"properly practiced, knitting soothes the troubled spirit...
 and it doesn't hurt the untroubled spirit either."
~elizabeth zimmerman

Tuesday, January 04, 2005

2005: The Year of Selfish Knitting

Well, it will be...just not yet.

I'm still finishing the two Christmas gifties for (step)Dad and (bio)Dad. Also, mom asked me to do a special knitting rescue job for her.

The Irish Hiking Scarf for my (step)Dad is finally in the home stretch. After the first few feet it seemed like no matter how much I knit it wasn't getting any longer. As of last night, though, there is very noticeable progress. Yay! I still love the pattern, I think it's brilliant and beautiful. Sadly, though, I just want it done. I want all these commitments done so that I can knit for MEMEMEME!

Back in October, when I went to the TKGA fiber festival, I got this fabulous alpaca yarn that I earmarked for my (step)Dad's Christmas scarf. I wound the whole 650 yds (by hand, I might add) into two balls of yarn. One ball is being used for the IHS, and for a stripe on the hat that (step)Dad asked for to go with the scarf. So, tally: finish IHS, do hat.

Still haven't even started the scarf for my (bio)Dad. Gotta do that when I finish the IHS and scarf for (step)Dad. Tally: one scarf with new skill req'd (intarsia).

And then there's the special project for mom. Mom bought a really pretty, lavendar-ish knit sweater made with a ribbon yarn. Mysteriously the neck began unraveling. Mom showed it to me to ask if there was anything I thought I could do. Amazingly, I think I actually CAN fix it. The bind off edge has come undone, so all I have to do is pick up the stitches, knit a row or two and bind off. Then mom asked if--since I'd be doing this anyway--I would mind adding 2" of a fuzzy yarn for decoration around the neckband. She selected Lion Brand's Fun Fur Print in Caribbean 212. It's going to look very pretty, I think, when done. And the additional yarn will probably help add some strength to the neckline. Tally: neckband of one sweater.

[sigh] Maybe then I can do something for me...I think I may be too nice. Or just a sucker. Hmmm.....

posted by Stephanie at 2:43 PM

4 Comments:

  • I vote for too nice :) I'm sure you'll make it to the selfish knitting soon!

    By Blogger Vicki, at 1:36 PM  

  • I know nothing about the nostepinne, but I do know that a ball winder makes the world so much better.
    If you can't do the full set of swift and winder, just do the winder.
    I promise you you'll wonder how you lived without it.

    By Blogger Fiber, at 5:50 AM  

  • I got mine from Mielke's Fiber Arts: http://www.mielkesfarm.com/noste_instr.htm

    They were prompt nice and seem to be dedicated to provided excellent, down to earth service. I like them alot and have used the nostepinde quite a bit. It's very relaxing to wind a ball this way - though I usually wind it to the nostepinde from my swift.

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 7:51 PM  

  • There are instructions in the new Stitch 'n Bitch on how to make one from an old table leg. Cheap and crafty!

    By Blogger Jessica, at 3:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home